[free-sklyarov] Congress says: Keep Dmitry in jail! Washington loves DMCA...

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Wed Jul 25 10:31:21 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 09:39:56AM -0700, Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
> And now Congress is snearing at us? DMCA is working just fine eh? Meaning
> it's a success in showing those geeks we can throw them in jail anytime we
> like? Keep them cowed and turning the crank on the economy while we strip
> all their rights away (along with the rights of any other of those "citizen"
> things that get in the way).
>
> If we're such horrible people then, gosh, I wouldn't want to keep harming
> them by, oh, making the Internet go.

the "old economy" way to do this is to call for a general strike, or
just a strike in an affected area. now most of us, I'm sure, are not
members of any union, and I'm not sure the strike laws cover political
reasons. however, there are always ways, like taking a day off
(everyone at once) or calling in sick.

connecting this as much with striking as possible (even if it isn't
legally a "strike") would also help to give things a lot of credibility
and move us out of the "evil hackers" corner.

your idea isn't as stupid as it sounds. it just needs some refining.

I'm willing to play contact person for everyone in germany and/or
europe. I don't know many people and I'm not even in a LUG, so I can't
trump up much, but if there's someone needed to coordinate, you've got
a volunteer.

other voices?

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org