[free-sklyarov] Please, get a grip. Was: (Fox letter about th e DMCA to ISPs)

Adrian Dunston adunston at jetstream.com
Wed Jul 25 13:02:41 PDT 2001

>From: Jon O . [mailto:jono at microshaft.org]
>Subject: [free-sklyarov] Please, get a grip. Was: (Fox letter about the
>DMCA to ISPs)

>Look! You guys are discussing the problem not the solution.
>If no one was stealing these movies, the MPAA and RIAA would
>have no grounds for the DMCA.

They don't have any grounds now.  You can make copies of DVDs without
decrypting them.

>So, quit talking about the bait,
>and discourage people stealing this stuff whenever possible.

Politically active programmers are not the ones illegally copying movies.
We are defending our rights to fair use, and writing computer instructions.

>They are using this as leverage for a power grab that threatens
>all of us!

They are using copying as a red-herring.  What they (the MPAA) really want
to do is region code the movies so they can control prices more directly.
That's why DVDs cost more in Europe.  This isn't about evil nasty hackers
stealing things (darn them!).  This is about corporations trying to exercise
control they shouldn't have over content that they'd rather be renting out
(pay per view/pay per listen) than selling.

-Adrian P. Dunston
__
(sourceCode == freeSpeech)
http://www.x-omega.com/shirtdept