[free-sklyarov] regular list update

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed Jul 25 14:05:44 PDT 2001

Nick Moffitt writes:

> In the week that this list has been active, it has seen 2141 messages.
> It also currently stands at 701 members.  That's roughly 300 messages
> a day, and 100 subscribers per day (though the distribution is not so
> even).
>
> 300 messages going out to 700 people totals 210,000 mails being sent
> out per day, or a little over 145 per minute!

Note that there are now 104 members on free-sklyarov-announce, so if
there were no duplicates, we would have 800 subscribers to
pro-Sklyarov lists.  (People who unsubscribe from free-sklyarov are
now being notified that free-sklyarov-announce exists, so hopefully
those who can't keep up with this list will stay in touch.)

Given that most people who care about an issue don't usually sign up
for a mailing list, I think this says pretty amazing things about the
size of the movement.

In addition, there is a Russian-language list at ezhe.ru to which we
have been directing Russian speakers.  I am also aware of regional
lists for several parts of the U.S.  This makes me confident that
there are over 1,000 active subscriptions to pro-Sklyarov lists
worldwide.  (But there is some overlap in list membership.)

I was happy to note that the most recent issue of EFF's EFFector
newsletter, which has tens of thousands of subscribers, was chock full
of good information about the situation.  Everyone here deserves lots
of credit for helping get the word out; please keep up the good work!

Thanks to everyone who's hosting web sites or lists: especially Nick
Moffitt and the Berkeley XCF.  Speaking of Berkeley, we still need
people to write to the UC Press, to Stanford University Press, and to
the CSLI Press.  Perhaps someone could send a paper letter to Don
Knuth about the latter?

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull