[free-sklyarov] Please no flames for what i'm about to propos e...

Roger Kramer krw5 at qwest.net
Wed Jul 25 14:41:28 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 14:22, you wrote:
> Software cannot be used as a weapon.  The idea that it can be used in ways
> similar to a rifle are incorrect and harmful to our cause.  A piece of
> software is not a "digital crowbar," it is a set of written instructions
> (like a recipe) that a computer can implement.  Weapons are regulated by
> the US Government.  Written instructions should not be.

I prefer the 1st amendment argument, too, but I fear your (unspoken)
definitions of "violence" or "threat" may be *much* too narrow.

1) Software certainly can be used as a "digital crowbar",
2)  we wouldn't want the gov to monopolize
such use (loosely similar to the key escrow issue) ,and
3) I'll wager in the not too distant future such uses will be *necessary* in
self-defense.

Anyway, knowing this isn't the face we want to put on I'm happy to let this
thread promptly die. The seed is planted should it ever need to grow in the
future.

roger