[free-sklyarov] The Web site and 'writing your congressman' ( fwd)

Daniel Orr dorr at asc.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 25 14:38:34 PDT 2001

I am a former aide a U.S. Senator.

I can assure you your name will not "go on a list" if you write your
Congressman and I encourage you to do so as most members of Congress DO take
these letters VERY seriously.

MOCs have neither the time nor the inclination to narc out their
constituents, and those that did would find it came back to bite them hard
come relection.

Persuading Congress to amend the DMCA is a matter of educating them. Most
members have little idea as to the law's impact. Letters from constituents
are a good way to get them to sit up and take notice.

A few things I have found helpful in such letters.

	1. Write only your Congressman and/or Senator, the one representing
your state and district. Other members will ignore 	your letter as you
are not a constituent.

	2. If your Senator or Member of Congress serves on a Committee
relating to the DMCA such as the House or Senate 	Judiciary Committee,
send your letter to ATTN: Judiciary LA

	3. Provide a little background on the law in your letter. Many
Congressional staffers are not familiar with the DMCA 	and will not know
what you're talking about.

	4. Suggest a concrete course of action. i.e. I urge you "to support
Rep. Boucher's bill to include a fair use 	exemption for the DMCA",
"write to Attorney General Ashcroft to release Sklyarov," or if your
Senator/Congressman is 	on an applicable Committee "revisit the DMCA in your
xxxxx Committee."

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Dan