[free-sklyarov] The Web site and 'writing your congressman' (fwd)

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Wed Jul 25 15:13:09 PDT 2001

Daniel Orr wrote:

> I am a former aide a U.S. Senator.
> Persuading Congress to amend the DMCA is a matter of educating them. Most
> members have little idea as to the law's impact. Letters from constituents
> are a good way to get them to sit up and take notice.

	Thanks Daniel. I'm a constituent of Senator Kennedy, and he's
on the Judiciary committee. I've been thinking I could write a long
letter to him, pulling out all my credentials, and making a liberal
oriented argument against the DMCA. Question for you: Does any of
that matter? That is, does a pages-long letter count even
marginally more than a short one? Is the key aspect the letter
itself, and sounding halfway-not-insane (:-)), rather than cites
and credentials? Or does it really matter if I puff myself
(or would that be negative, since I'm not an ordinary citizen then?)
Thanks for some insight here.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www10.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html