Anti-DMCA Talking Points (WasRe: [free-sklyarov] He's free.... )]

Jon O . jono at microshaft.org
Wed Jul 25 15:38:42 PDT 2001

Some recommendations:

----- Forwarded message from "J.E. Cripps" <cycmn at nyct.net> -----

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:00:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "J.E. Cripps" <cycmn at nyct.net>
Subject: Anti-DMCA Talking Points (WasRe: [free-sklyarov] He's free.... )

The list doesn't recognize me as a poster, can't get an answer...
can't imagine why not :-)

An outline of positions, at the NYC rally the anti-library and
educational implications  got a lot of ppl involved.

1. The DMCA will allow businesses in the business of distributing
content (info., art. music) created by others to replace
ownership with rental (of books, CD, etc.) and eliminate
current fair use. There's a bunch of stories archived at
Slashdot on this.

2. The DMCA has already been used to blatantly stifle long-established
First Amendment Rights, do a Web Search on Edward Felten. There's
a bit at Salon (ok, ok) and lots at EFF, this is absolutely a
bedrock First Amendment issue.

3. Major universities are already willing to use the full force of the
DMCA to prevent the free access to information to the public in education,
planning to force rental of all textbooks and learning material under a
yearly license. See http://www.nyfairuse.org for more on this.  Copying to
backup, printing to  underline will be prohibited by the
anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA.

I had a paragraph about Napster, but am deleting it, its would
confuse ppl.

----- End forwarded message -----