[free-sklyarov] broaden the movement

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 25 16:13:25 PDT 2001

On 25 Jul 2001, Jacob Gemmell wrote:

> And being "controlled" doesn't?  Telling a person ther eBook is
> crippled, and they will say "but I can still read it, what's the
> problem?".

	If I may make a suggestion:

	"Copy control" is an incomplete and inaccurate term, because
	copying is just one aspect controlled by DRM systems.
	A much better and effective term would be "usage control."

	The term "copy control" is advantageous to copyright owners,
	by limiting the debate to piracy and only some examples of
	fair use.  Many really good examples of fair use don't involve
	a desire to make a copy at all:  simply wanting to watch a
	DVD that you bought, or simply wanting to read an eBook, but
	being prevented by overly paranoid security.

> Tell them that it is controlled and they will say "What the
> fsck did I pay for?".  I think that it is important to put this
> arguement in terms of what the person owns and what they can do with it.

	That's another difference between "copy control" and "usage
	control."  The latter sounds more like someone controlling
	people, rather than things.

							-S