[free-sklyarov] EFF to Meet Friday July 27 with US Attorney's Office

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Wed Jul 25 16:13:26 PDT 2001

>>>>> "mc" == mike castleman <mlc67 at columbia.edu> writes:

    mc> Frankly, I'm getting sick of these top-down decisions from the
    mc> EFF and I'm wondering when the EFF is going to learn.

Well, I'm not in on the strategy seshes at EFF, but it seems to me
that they're playing a very touchy game here. So far, it's worked out
pretty well.

I was pretty peeved about the announcement last Friday, considering
that we had a world-wide tidal wave of protest poised for the 23rd.
But it was this particular tactic that put EFF negotiators inside
Adobe on Monday and got us our first big win. If it hadn't happened,
we would probably be struggling just to get face time with Adobe at
this very minute. It was a risky move, but it paid off immensely.

The 1-2 punch -- EFF on the inside, wackos on the outside -- is
working. We can probably keep it up. I support the EFF in saying
whatever they need to say to get a foot in the door.

The current announcement, at least from where I'm standing, is no
biggie. I don't think anyone's even _got_ a protest scheduled between
now and Friday, and it'd be hard to make one go off before then,
anyways. I suggest that we start planning events for next week --
perhaps another coordinated action would be nice -- and hope to see
some advances on Friday that will obviate the need for more protests.

Just remember: we're working together here. We need to keep our eyes
on the prize, and take whatever announcements that come out of the EFF
with a grain of salt. If they're helping to get Dmitry free, well,
hell, lettem promise the moon.

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/