[free-sklyarov] broaden the movement

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Wed Jul 25 18:56:14 PDT 2001

On 25 Jul, Izel Sulam wrote:
> proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com wrote:
>
>>Let's boycott all media with copy protection that counters fair use.
>>This would include eBooks, and DVD movies, as well as some future plans
>>from Microsoft, and I'm sure that the people here could think of more
>>examples.
>
> I have two things to say about this idea.
>
> First, it's a good idea, but not yet at the correct location in our
> priority queue.

Thanks, and good point.  Let's have a general boycott as soon as Dmitry
is free, if not before.

> I suggest that we pick a counter-term to refer to cryptographically
> encapsulated products that prevent fair use. I suggest "crippled media". It
> is sufficiently unpleasant and politically incorrect, that if we say it
> often enough and loudly enough, Microsoft and Adobe and whoever else will
> do everything in their power to ensure that their product lineup does not
> include "crippled media" and products that produce or play "crippled
> media". Try saying it. Just pronouncing the phrase makes one squirm. There
> are so many unpleasant associations involved, it's not even funny. I find
> it quite delightful myself.

I'm afraid that, like the term sheeple, it is far too unpleasant.
Perhaps if we coupled the term in a yoke, it would work, like this.

"Please join us in boycotting these products which have been _unfairly_
crippled in order to extinquish your fair use rights."

eBooks
DVD movies
etc.

Thanks for your attention to this idea.  We are flailing about here,
because the freedom of Dmitry now seems to be a little out of our hands.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/