[free-sklyarov] What did he do IN THE US that was 'wrong'?

Eric Tully eric at tully.com
Wed Jul 25 20:11:24 PDT 2001

I'm finding that some people think that the FBI had a right to arrest him
(under the currently flawed DMCA) and other people think that they had no
right to arrest him.

If the FBI had no right to arrest him, then this wouldn't be a programming
issue.  It wouldn't be a free speech issue.  It wouldn't even be a DMCA
issue.  If the FBI had no right to arrest him, then any decent lawyer would
simply stand in front of the judge and say, "I have tons of precedent
showing that Russians aren't subject to American laws, you have to let him
go."  And the judge would.

But I don't think that's the case.

Columbian drug lords sell cocaine to middle men who bring it to the US and
because of extradition laws, we drag the kingpins here and try them in
American courts (when we can catch them!).  The fact that they were in
Columbia when they broke American law was irrelevent.  They did something
that affected Americans.

I think the key is that he broke American law by distributing it on the
Internet and then he set foot on American soil.  I mean, if you're going to
break American law in a way that "harms" American interests, I think you
*should* be arrested if you come to American soil.

(Don't get me wrong, I don't think he harmed Adobe and I think the DMCA is
unjust legislation that should be repealed.  But I don't think that the
arrest was illegal under current law.)

I know people will disagree with me on this.  I'd be interested in a
lawyer's comment.

- Eric