[free-sklyarov] Thought: Oksana US Visit

Edmund A. Hintz ed at hintz.org
Wed Jul 25 22:35:36 PDT 2001

On 7/25/01 8:45 PM, seth.johnson at Realmeasures.dyndns.org thus spake:

>Edmund:
>
>Perhaps if she knows, given the show of support in this thread, that
>many of the practical issues might to a great degree be resolved, she
>might see the idea in a different light?

That's possible. I've forwarded some of the early messages of the thread,
asking for comment. Keep in mind, she grew up in a police state ruled by
the KGB. Our FBI is currently using very similar tactics, especially from
a Russian point of view. Because of this, I fully understand and support
her hesitation and concerns. I don't personally think she would be under
any danger of arrest or some such, but I totally understand and respect
her position, and it's very reasonable given her context. And as was
noted by Kastlyn, there is also the issue of a support network, so she
does have some very valid reasons to reject a visit. Personally, I
believe her presence would help persuade our citizenry that Dmitry is
indeed simply a doctoral student and family man, but this decision is
hers and hers alone, and I respect her choices.

To borrow from Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter, "We will get by"... ;-)

Peace,
Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Linux Geek,     *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Linux Consultant       *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed at hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org