[free-sklyarov] Re: Please, get a grip. Was: (Fox letter about the DMCA to ISPs)

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Jul 26 03:23:03 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 12:54:12PM -0700, Jon O . wrote:
> Look! You guys are discussing the problem not the solution.
> If no one was stealing these movies, the MPAA and RIAA would
> have no grounds for the DMCA. So, quit talking about the bait,
> and discourage people stealing this stuff whenever possible.

look, we are not and have no influence on the people "stealing"(1) this
stuff, so there's nothing we can do about that.
however, we heavily object to using this as a pretext for a power grab
that extends far beyond the understandable desire to avoid widespread
unauthorized distribution.

in short: ask me whether I oppose burglary and I'm firmly on your side.
ask me to outlaw lock picks and I'll just look at you as if you'd be
insane.

(1) it's not really stealing since there is no property involved, but
rather a right violation. anyone got a good term to use as a
replacement?