[free-sklyarov] What did he do IN THE US that was 'wrong'?

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Jul 26 05:33:20 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 11:11:24PM -0400, Eric Tully wrote:
> Columbian drug lords sell cocaine to middle men who bring it to the US and
> because of extradition laws, we drag the kingpins here and try them in
> American courts (when we can catch them!).  The fact that they were in
> Columbia when they broke American law was irrelevent.  They did something
> that affected Americans.
>
> I think the key is that he broke American law by distributing it on the
> Internet and then he set foot on American soil.  I mean, if you're going to
> break American law in a way that "harms" American interests, I think you
> *should* be arrested if you come to American soil.

there's a very important difference there:

the columbian drug lord knowingly and purposefully TARGETS america.
putting something on the internet is a "broadcast" action, and
definitely not targeted on america (even if it may be difficult for
some to comprehend that there ARE things going on in the world that do
not revolve around the USofA).