[free-sklyarov] Backlash

Adrian Dunston adunston at jetstream.com
Thu Jul 26 09:01:47 PDT 2001

>... and for people who genuinely needed it, as in a
>blind person who could not read eBooks, not for the average
>Napster using pirate.
>-b

I know I'm splitting hairs here but -- like Richard Stallman -- I have to
disagree with our using the term piracy to describe copyright infringement.

A pirate is a person who boards ships uninvited, murders, rapes, and steals
physical property.  I have never heard of a Napster user doing any of these
things.

Drafters of copyright law coined the term piracy in order to help justify
the need for laws like the DMCA.  I know we're not going to be able to get
the newsmedia to stop using that term, but we at least can avoid it in our
own discussions, especially at protests.

The terms crippled media, controlled content, and controlled usage are great
for our cause.  The term piracy -- even though we are not copyright
violators ourselves -- is harmful.

Of course, "violator" and "infringer" aren't great words either.  Any
suggestions?

-Adrian P. Dunston

__
(sourceCode == freeSpeech)	//Support the EFF.
http://www.x-omega.com/shirtdept