[free-sklyarov] Using PDF

Tabinda N. Khan tabindak at best.com
Thu Jul 26 16:48:19 PDT 2001

Quoting Nick Moffitt:
> I found it amusing that people on here were apologising for putting up
> PDFs, even though they were alongside *extremely* proprietary Word
> "doc" files.

It depends on the purpose. I can't speak for anyone else, but
my goal was not to avoid proprietary formats, it was to make it
easy for people of varying technical abilities to
modify flyers to suit their regional activities. The PDF
tongue-in-cheek apology was because of the Adobe flavor (I
felt the same way about the Postscript, but less so), not about
the proprietary nature.

I want a non-technical person who decides to hold a protest in
their area to be able to easily modify the flyer and keep the
same design--in the case of freeing Dmitry, I'm not willing to
discriminate against people based on their ability--we need all
the help we can get. So if a grocery clerk or a mechanic or
someone who doesn't know Postscript from a movie script gets all
fired up about this and wants to organize a demonstration and
modify the flyer on their home PC using Word, more power to them.
That's not to say that people in those professions don't know
Postscript, but you get my drift.

So:

--HTML for those who want to use a browser and feel comfortable
editing tags
--Word for those who want to organize a protest and only know
how to use Microsoft Office
--Postscript for those who prefer that
--PDF because I couldn't get the Postscript to print,
didn't know if the problem was my printer or the Postscript,
and due to short timeframe I didn't have time to
troubleshoot. PDF would allow people to get the same look as
Postscript using any PDF viewer.

Again, I don't know why other people are apologizing, but I
want to be clear my apology was not based on the proprietary
nature of the documents I posted. That might be my usual
stance, but not in the goal of getting Dmitry out of jail. I
believe others have also put the proprietary nature of file
formats and ElcomSoft's work to the side in order to pursue
this goal.

Tabinda