[free-sklyarov] Announcement - eBookWeb event: Digital Rights, DMCA and Hac

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Fri Jul 27 09:45:38 PDT 2001

"Alan Smithee" writes:

: Wade,
:
: This is a most excellent idea and I look forward to participating.
:
: Might I respectfully suggest, however, that you re-consider your choice of
: the word 'Hacker.'
:
: It is a buzz word that connotes illegality and crime, and to many,
: incorrectly frames the debate.
:
: 'Coder' would be far more neutral and better define the balance of rights at
: stake.

A ``Coder'' traditionally was someone who took the program that was written
by a programmer in a higher level language and converted it to lower level
languages or machine code, mechanical functions that are now performed by
a computer program.  Coders had higher status than key-punch operators, but
the word you are looking far is ``Programmmer.''

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu