[free-sklyarov] Hacker or Not?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Jul 27 06:54:40 PDT 2001

At 06:49 AM 7/27/01 -0700, Keith A. Glass wrote:
>Yes, win the accuracy war, but lose the PR war, and leave Dmitry to rot in
>jail until some court over-rules the DMCA or 5 years go by. . .

But the media may cease to treat you as kindly if they realize you are, as
you say, intentionally "lying" to them in the form of what you call spin
control. Adobe tried spin control, and look at the result in press coverage.

> > Didn't that series get cancelled? I think I panned it in a review.
>
>Cancelled for now.  Didn't realize you were a media critic as well.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,42057,00.html

    From X-Files to Geek Files
    by Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)
    2:00 a.m. Mar. 3, 2001 PST

    The new X-Files spinoff almost seems destined to flop.

    It lacks nearly everything that made the original such a hit: Scully,
    Mulder, shadowy aliens, menacing shapeshifters and the kind of
    visceral dark drama that lures millions of viewers every Sunday night.

    But don't rule out Chris Carter's The Lone Gunmen, airing Sunday at 9
    p.m. on Fox, just yet.

    The series veers in a different direction, replacing drama with
    comedy, FBI agents with maladjusted computer geeks, and alien
    abductions with toilet humor. About the only things remaining are --
    of course -- government conspiracies and the dorky hacker trio who
    made their debut on a favorite episode of the X-Files, then went on to
    star in several others.

    [...]