[free-sklyarov] Hacker or Not?

Tony Abou-Assaleh tabouass at math.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 27 09:27:06 PDT 2001

Dmitry might be a photographer. If he is, would it benefit us to refer to
him as a photographer? very unlikely. Similarly, the fact that he might be
(and probably is) a hacker, does not imply that we should refer to him as
a hacker.

My original comment was regarding the general use of 'hacker'. That we
should not enforce the negative image of the term in our speech and
writing. I was NOT suggesting that we should stick it everywhere we can
just for the sake of using the word.

I think we all agree (at least in this thread) that we should try to
preserve the good meaning of 'hacker', and that calling Dmitry a 'hacker'
is not the best way to go about it.

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3G1
Office:  DC2503
Phone:   (519) 888-4567 Ext. 3399
Email:   taa at acm.org