[free-sklyarov] May be of interest. (fwd)

Edmund A. Hintz ed at hintz.org
Fri Jul 27 12:48:05 PDT 2001

Hello Linda,

     My apologies for the intrusion. Mr. Gladding gave an excellent reply
regarding Adobe's statements, but there is one piece of evidence I think
is important for consideration. Regarding the Adobe PR statement:

>> 4. Adobe had NOTHING to do with the arrest of Dimitry. This was a
>> unilateral decision of the Justice Dept. We were as surprised at the
>> arrest as everyone else. We have no influence with the Justice Dept as
>> to who they prosecute under United States criminal law.

     The documents filed in the US District Court of Northern California
by the FBI on 28 June can be found at this web address in .pdf format:

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Sklyarov/20010707_complaint.pdf

     This document describes an initial meeting on 26 June, between FBI
Agent Daniel J. O'Connell; Kevin Nathanson, Group Product Manager,
ebooks, Adobe; and Daryl Spano, Technical Investigator,
Investigations/AntiPiracy, Adobe. The following quote is from page 5 of
Agent OConnell's sworn statement:

>e. Adobe has learned that Dmitry Skylarov is slated to speak on July 15,
>2001 at a confrence entitled Defcon-9 at Las Vegas Nevada. Spano told me
>that he learned that Sklyrarov is scheduled to make a presentation related
>to the AEBPR software program.

     In light of this information, I find it difficult to believe that
*everyone* at Adobe was "surprised" by the arrest. It seems to me that
Mr. Spano and Mr. Nathanson essentially handed a gift wrapped package to
the FBI, signed sealed and delivered. I don't want to say that Adobe is
lying-perhaps the persons in Marketing or Public Relations were genuinely
surprised. I find it extremely difficult to believe, however, that Mr.
Spano and Mr. Nathanson were "surprised" by the actions of the FBI and
the Department of Justice. Frankly, I would compare this statement to
that of Major Strasser, in the classic movie Casablanca, being "shocked"
at gambling going on at Rick's place, while accepting his winnings from
the roulette table.

     By all means, I encourage you, and all others, to read the complaint
yourselves, and come to your own conclusions. If your conclusions are
that Mr. Skylarov is being unlawfully held captive by a foreign state, I
urge you to join us in whatever way you feel comfortable in calling for
the immediate and unconditional release of Mr. Skylarov.

     Thank you for your time and your concern, and the best of luck to
you in your future endeavors.

Peace,
Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Linux Geek,     *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Linux Consultant       *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed at hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org