[free-sklyarov] A humble telephone protest suggestion

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sat Jul 28 03:51:40 PDT 2001

Tony Abou-Assaleh writes:

> Would calling the US embassy for those out of US help?

I'm supportive of prominent and respected citizens of other countries
expressing their discontent to a local Ambassador or Consul.  _If
true_, the message that Sklyarov's arrest makes you afraid to visit
the U.S. is significant.  Similarly, if true, the message that it
makes you afraid for the U.S. commitment to free speech is significant.

We've had a couple of academics saying that computer conferences will
or should move outside of the U.S.  To the extent that this is the
view of the international computer security and computer engineering
communities, the U.S. embassy should know about it.

If you are "just a random person", contacting the Embassy helps too; I
am not sure just how much effect credentials have.

If you do write a letter, please post it here.  The EFF has already
used some of these letters to show the U.S. Attorney that the arrest
is raising international concern and making foreign computer
professionals afraid to travel here.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull