[free-sklyarov] What was that russian chant? (fwd)

Christopher R. Maden crism at maden.org
Sat Jul 28 06:53:35 PDT 2001

At 12:45 27-07-2001, Vadim Kogan wrote:
>Here's how it goes:
>
>Chto my hotim? (What do we want?)
>Svobody Dime! (Free Dima (short of Dmitry))
>Kogda my hotim? (When do we want?)
>Seichas (Now) or Prjamo seichas (Right now)

My recollection is that people in San José were saying the latter.

The "hotim" here can also be spelled "khochim"; the first letter is the
Cyrillic X, as in Khruschev; it's like loch or Bach or achtung.  The t or
ch is the same letter as the first letter in chto, somewhere between an
English t and ch.

An 'o' in the first syllable of a Russian word is pronounced more like 'a',
so a phonetic rendering might be:

Chto muy kha-chim'?
Sva-bo'du dim-ye!
Kag-da' muy kha-chim'?
Prya'mo sei-chas'!

I was wondering about that second question, though; wouldn't "when do we
want *it*" be more correct?  Kogda my eto khochim, perhaps?  It's been a
long time since my one year of collegiate Russian...

-crism
--
David Shapiro: You know what you doing.  Free Dmitry!  For great justice.
=== Freelance Text Nerd: <URL:http://crism.maden.org/> ===