[free-sklyarov] Monday the 30th Plans

Kris kris at firstworld.net
Sat Jul 28 08:38:03 PDT 2001

At 02:51 AM 7/28/2001 -0500, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:

 >As I said in my earlier message, I'm considering focusing ONLY on
 >Freeing Dmitry and talking about the DMCA when it comes up (which is any
 >time you have a longer conversation with someone). This keeps people
 >from assuming that we're trying to get something out of this situation,
 >when we should be focusing on Dmitry. What do you think about this? The
 >alternative is to also have signs that also ask for the repealing of the
 >DMCA. This is our goal anyway -- but I feel like having both makes it
 >look like we're using Dmitry as a poster boy, and is less likely to have
 >an emotional, make-me-wanna-write-effect on people.

While I absolutely agree that we should not be using Dmitry as a poster
boy, since Dmitry is in jail for violating the DMCA - a law of questionable
constitutionality, I think that it is ok to attack the DMCA as long as the
primary focus is Freeing Dmitry.  In fact, I think that is one of our most
effective tactics.

My experience has been when trying to convince people to help free Dmitry
that a detailed explanation of way the DMCA is such a bad law is
necessary.  After all the fuckups the FBI has made in the past 10 years,
people still seem to give them the benefit of the doubt.  However,
once  I've convinced them that the DMCA is a bad law, they usually come
around on the whole Free Dmitry point.

If you look at the flyers we created this week - I think that they are very
effective and they also contain a certain amount of anti-DMCA rhetoric.  I
think removing the anti-DMCA message would lessen the impact that the flyer
has.

And I'll be honest, the anti-DMCA slant isn't the only thing that concerns
me.  I dislike like the continual mention of Dmitry as a family man.  It
seems to imply that someone without a family belongs in jail.  However,
American consumers are big suckers and any message to them is going to be
more effective with the heartfelt appeal that Dmitry is missing bonding
time with his kids.  So as sleazy as that it is, it is an effective tactic,
so we're using it.

I would suggest that any signs or message that have an anti-DMCA message
also have "FREE DMITRY" written some where on the sign. I would also
suggest that in order to build a "brand" that we standard the "FREE DMITRY"
logo so that we can build name recognition.  I know this sounds like
marketing speak... it is... but there's a reason marketing people
exist.  The logo should always be upper case.  Use big, bold, thick block
letters.  And if you have a color choice.  Red on white.  The big sign that
Kelpht made up for last week's protest is a great example.

Kris