[free-sklyarov] Geektivist

Dan Martinez dfm at area.com
Sat Jul 28 13:12:49 PDT 2001

James S. Huggins wrote:

> Just curious:
> Is geektivist a common term?

I hadn't heard it before.

> Do people on this list consider themselves geektivists?

I don't. I consider myself an activist. "Geektivist" sounds, to me,
like a forced attempt to be cute. (Sorry, Declan.)

> Is it pejoritive or descriptive?

Possibly both, possibly neither, but either way I don't think it's
particularly helpful. I consider myself a geek, just as I consider
myself a hacker, but I might pause before adopting either label while
trying to influence the opinion of a lay public. (Which is, after all,
part of what we're trying to do here.)

I think that the opposition is working hard enough to marginalize us:
I don't see the point in making it easy for them.

Dan