[mark@geekhive.net: Re: [free-sklyarov] Monday the 30th Plans]

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Jul 29 00:50:06 PDT 2001

begin Mark Jaroski quotation of Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 04:40:50PM -0700:

> Are there any veterans on this list?  When I saw that U.S. flag
> in San Jose last monday I thought it was wonderful, and really
> made the right point.

Monday I get to find out if I can get the pole on Caltrain.
(It's an extensible handle for a pruning saw, which makes a great
portable flagpole.  I attached one short piece of nylon rope at
the top (where the saw would go) and another piece of nylon rope
is tied to a heavy-duty cable tie attached further down.

I brought the flag separately (ironed and folded the Right Way
http://www.icss.com/usflag/fold.flag.html) then got someone to hold
the other end while I tied it to the pole.

The flag did get a lot of attention from passers-by, but it is a
powerful symbol that has to be used the right way to be effective.

1.  If your event has flags of both the US and Russia, display
them at the same height.   That's where the pruning saw handle as
flagpole comes in handy.  (I don't know the right folding pattern
for the Russian flag.)

2.  Don't let the flag of any country touch the ground.  Of course
you can rest the bottom of the pole on the ground if it doesn't
result in the flag being lower than another country's.

3.  When you're done for the day, take the flag off the pole and
fold it so it doesn't get messed up.

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/