[free-sklyarov] Support for the Association of American Publishers

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Sun Jul 29 09:58:32 PDT 2001

On Sunday 29 July 2001 09:27, Alphageek wrote:
> I suppose that an organization like "Media Consumers for Digital
> Censorship" or the "Music Fans' Digital Industry Enrichment Coalition"
> would have similar success at "grassroots" organizing and recruitment.
>
> I'm sorry, maybe I'm in a mean mood today, but I see great entertainment
> value in lampooning this so-called "Decency Coalition for Media in America"
> mercilessly.
>
> BTW, on the "property" issue, what happens if you post a message saying
> "This message remains MY property and I'm just using the public forum you
> opened.  I confer upon you no rights other than the right to leave it on
> the message boards unedited.  You may not copy this message without
> permission. Any attempt by you to use a circumvention device to make
> unauthorized copies of this message
>  is a federal crime and shall be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law?"

What doofus "I'm a coalition" doesn't seem to realize is that according to
actual copyright *law, you retain the rights to your messages. Maybe he could
argue he has compilation rights but the courts just recently ruled that
authors still have rights when digital compilations are made of their works.

He might have *some rights of your posts but can't claim *all rights.

Anyway, what kind of "supporter" of copyright and content producers demands
"all rights" without compensation?

Mark