[free-sklyarov] Breaking the Law?

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Jul 29 11:59:44 PDT 2001

Klepht writes:

>     RO> If Adobe bought and holds a couple copies of this software.
>     RO> Aren't they breaking the law too?
>
> Actually, I believe that _using_ a circumvention device, if you are
> within your fair use rights, is totally legal.
>
> It's just the sucker who _provides_ you with the code that gets in
> trouble. I think there's something about this on the EFF site.

There is a distinction between 1201(a) and 1201(b) such that 1201(a)
proscribes both use and trafficking, and 1201(b) proscribes only
trafficking.  (Did I remember correctly?  I don't have time to look it
up because I have to go to the sign-making party in Berkeley.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull