[free-sklyarov] Information About WIPO Wanted

Andrew Lawrence ausage at ausage.com
Sun Jul 29 14:28:04 PDT 2001

On July 29, 2001 02:02 am, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apparently the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a UN
> agency with a ~250 million $ budget, is responsible, among other
> despicable things, for the DMCA, the EU copyright directive, the
> Canadian equivalent to the DMCA and all other laws concerning the
> circumvention of copy-protection. See the "WIPO Copyright Treaty
> adopted by the Diplomatic Conference on December 20, 1996":

Canada does not have an equivalent to the DMCA yet, but it is being proposed.
Industry Canada and the Department of Canadian Heritage have released
consultation papers (http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/rp01100e.html) and are
calling for public comments by September 15, 2001.

While several issues are being studing (internet re-broadcast rights,
manditory licencing, etc), how to implement the "anti-circumvention"
provisions of the WIPO treaties is right at the fore-front.

I urge every Canadian on this list to read the documents and submit their
comments, write to their MP, and write to the Minister of Industry, the
Honorable Brian Tobin, and the Minister of Canadian Heritage, the Honorable
Sheila Copps, as well as their counter parts in the Opposition.

Comments to Industry Canada can be submitted by email, fax or plain snail
mail.

Your can find the name and address for your MP at
http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/SenatorsMembers_house.asp?Language=E&Parl=37&Ses=1&Sect=hoccur
The ministers and the Opposition spokesmen are listed at
(http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/key/Critic.asp?Source=hoccur

Remember, when writing to a member of parliament, you don't even need to pay
for a stamp.