[free-sklyarov] Legal addition to flyers

jmd at turbogeek.org jmd at turbogeek.org
Sun Jul 29 15:29:22 PDT 2001

I hope to attend the Chicago protest tomarrow. I plan to add a notice
similar to the following to the back of my flyers. Thought some others
might like to integrate it into their own, or suggest alternate
wording.

The idea is it's short, and shocking. Saying "Don't forget to read the
notice on the back" as a disinterested flyer holder walks away looking
for a trash can might get them to read the short notice. If it can
peak their interest, they'll read the front, too.

 |      {3/4" red letter}      NOTICE                                |
 | Persons attempting to fold, crumple, and/or spill coffee on this  |
 | flyer are in violation of The Flyer's terms of use. This is a     |
 | felony pursuant to Section 1201(a) of the Digital Millennium      |
 | Copyright Act.                                                    |
 | Violators are subject to five years imprisonment and fines up to  |
 | $500,000.                                                         |

        {small type}    Ridiculous, isn't it?

It's hard to form a good parallel between mangling the flyer and
copyright law's fair use rights in two sentances (earlier, longer
drafts made a very nice comparison), but it's more important that the
notice remain short, or no one will read it.

Free Dmitry, Repeal the DMCA,
   /jmd

--
Jeremy M. Dolan <my-three-initials at pobox.com>
PGP: 1024D/DC433DEE 494C 7A6E 19FB 026A 1F52  E0D5 5C5D 6228 DC43 3DEE