[free-sklyarov] federal prisons in Oklahoma

Branden Robinson branden+serrfxylnebi at deadbeast.net
Sun Jul 29 20:42:48 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 08:07:16PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> If it's allowed, we will certainly make a concerted effort to visit
> him once he's transferred here, and be sure he's doing as well as
> possible under the circumstances.  We already have some people (aside
> from lawyers and Dmitry Sklyarov's friends and family) calling jails
> in Santa Clara County regularly for status updates.

I don't know how practical this is, but I just had an idea:

Perhaps if the Bay Area protest group is large enough, you guys could set
up a rotation so that one person every day or weekday goes to visit him.

This could serve a few purposes:
1) Foremost, it would help keep Dmitry's spirits up and help him keep a
sense of connection with the outside world, which is doubtless very
important for someone who is being held unjustly.  It would also give him a
very clear sign that he's not going to be forgotten about.
2) Making such a committment would help keep the protest effort from
fizzling out.
3) Such a thing might get the attention of local prison officers and
officials, such that it becomes water cooler discussion at first, and
perhaps eventually makes it into administrative reports.  This kind of
thing could help win Dmitry's freedom, as it would send a message to the
DoJ that this problem isn't just going to go away.
4) I don't see how this could generate anything but sympathetic press --
very useful to combat all this moronic media subtext of "evil Russian
hacker undermining the $American Way$."

Just a thought.  I realize this would demand a high degree of personal
comittment from the people involved, and since I'm way over here in
Indianapolis I'm not in a position to express disappointment in anyone if
it's does come about.  But if several people are in this for the long haul
and have flexible lunch hours, it may just work out.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |  If God had intended for man to go about