[free-sklyarov] Mainstream Support

Rob McGee SerrQzvgev at zxmail.com
Mon Jul 30 00:12:38 PDT 2001

(I tried sending this yesterday but was having outgoing mail trouble --
I hope it's not too late to do something about it!)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:49:43PM -0500, James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) wrote:
> I asked:
> Outside of the hacker and digital communities, what "mainstream"
> organizations have, so far, said that they "agree"?
>
> Which ones might?

In another thread someone else mentioned organized labor, and that's a
good suggestion. I have a specific union to suggest which might come in
handy as Dmitri is being transported: NATCA, the air traffic controllers
union.

I was close to that business myself some time ago, and I recall that the
DOJ/Federal Bureau of Prisons had its own "airline" for their victims.
Their call sign was "JUD" and I think they flew military-surplus junk
like C-130's (4-engine turboprop cargo planes.)

If Dmitri is in OKC now he'll likely be transported to SJC or one of the
other area airports. NATCA volunteers on the lookout for JUD movements
from OKC to the west could possibly tip us off in time to be able to get
him a little show of support at the arrival. I'm sure Dmitri would
appreciate that, if it can be made to happen.

You might do better outside the gates of the place where he will be in
San Jose, because you certainly won't be able to get close to the plane
at the airport! You'd have to try to find out from the Federal Marshals
where he's going to be accomodated during his extended visit there.

Details: Of course someone could go to the OKC airport tower and ask to
see their NATCA rep. Also, I believe OKC airport is in Fort Worth
Center's airspace, which means that their computer system would be the
first to know of the flight plan. ZFW is in Euless, TX, which I guess is
close to the DFW airport. *DO NOT* bother with DFW tower; that is a
separate facility which will not be able to help. (Some OKC departures
may go into KC Center airspace -- for anyone in that area, ZKC is out in
Olathe, a local call from all greater KC area.)

I don't know much about west coast airspace, but there's a center at LA
and at Oakland. I would guess that SJC is in Oakland's airspace. Find
those facilities and any of the controllers there should be able to tell
you which one you need. And of course SJC tower might be able to help
some too -- if in fact they're bringing him there. You might find out
that the JUD flights only go to one area airport, and the controllers at
that tower might help.

For being gov't employees, ATC guys aren't so bad. I found a significant
minority of libertarians among them. Many of them are geek-like, if not
actual geeks. I think you'll find them to be an audience which is recep-
tive to our message. Some of them, however, may see themselves as "sky
cops," and like all enforcer-types they believe in making everyone do
everything by-the-book. The sky-cop mentality is more common among their
management than among the controllers. But even some of the bosses are
not so bad, because they all came from the controller workforce.

I think something like this, to get a physical show of support to Dmitri
while in chains, could help him immensely. The isolation and desolation
of jail can break anyone, and you never know -- the Free Dmitri movement
could very well hinge on Dmitri himself. And getting to talk to his boss
or wife on the phone, while a very nice thing, is not the same as seeing
a group of cheering supporters.

Hope it helps,
    Rob - /dev/rob0