[free-sklyarov] misdirection of funds? (your tax dollars at work)

Morgan morganw at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 08:04:21 PDT 2001

Here's another reason to avoid chasing "IP" "criminals"-- the
money would be better spend chasing "cyber terrorists."

FOREIGN AFFAIRS Op-Ed By THOMAS FRIEDMAN
"Digital Defense"
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/27/opinion/27FRIE.html

"To his credit, President Bush will soon unveil an upgraded
program to defend against cyberterrorism. But so far, the U.S.
government spends only $1.8 billion a year to protect our webs,
which, the F.B.I. will tell you, are already under daily hack
attack by cyberterrorists."

While you might not agree with spending money this way either,
it's another argument against prosecuting Dmitry.  The IP part
of the F.B.I.'s CHIP units (Computer Hacking and Intellectual
Property) will be a distraction of attention and funds away from
more serious problems.

-Morgan