[free-sklyarov] Counter-Terminology

marek jedlinski eristic at lodz.pdi.net
Mon Jul 30 17:33:46 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:30:00 -0500, James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) wrote:

>   >>>Crippled media" gets my vote. It's more
>   >>>suggestive than the above two, and
>   >>>most people who've ever looked for
>   >>>shareware on the net will be familiar
>   >>>with the term "crippleware".

[...]
>Are we attempting to find a term that technoids will understand?

I think not, they probably already do.

>Or, are we
>attempting to find a term that the general media will adopt as their
>"standard" instead of the existing standard of "copy controlled"? If it is
>#2, then the term must be one that the general media person can both relate
>to and feel comfortable using.

I realize that the term "crippled" may be too emotionally charged to gain a
media acceptance. OTOH, it drives the point right across. "Control" can be
a good thing, depending on context; you might end up havinig to explain why
in this case the "control" is wrong. But if you say that foo is crippled,
there will be no ambiguity about the meaning; you can only be asked why or
how.

.marek

--
/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Say NO to HTML in email
\ / Homepage, PGP Public Key: http://www.pdi.net/~eristic/