[free-sklyarov] Counter-Terminology

David Haworth david.haworth at altavista.net
Tue Jul 31 00:14:14 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:52:56PM +0200, DeBug wrote:
> I really do not understand what is the difference between copy and other use
>
> If you think you have the right to restict copying then logically
> you have the right to apply many other kinds of restriction
> (long long list of what users of your property can think of)

What the WIPO treaty actually says is:

"Authors of literary and artistic works shall enjoy the
exclusive right of authorizing the making available to the
public of the original and copies of their works through sale
or other transfer of ownership." (Article 6)

(http://www.wipo.int/treaties/ip/copyright/copyright.html)

It goes on to say that what happens to those copies after they've
been sold is up to individual countries. I believe the US
has a first sale doctrine that says the authors can't restrict
further sales or transfers of the copy in its original form.

Also read articles 11 and 12, and then ask why the DMCA makes
the distribution of "circumvention devices" illegal. Especially
if you take the agreed statements concerning article 12
into account.
(http://www.wipo.int/treaties/ip/copyright/statements.html)

Dave

--