[free-sklyarov] WIPO Regulations

Kris kris at firstworld.net
Tue Jul 31 10:14:23 PDT 2001

At 07:01 PM 7/31/2001 +0200, DeBug wrote:
 >pic> Fair use is permitted by law, but prevented by the technological
 >pic> measures.  It is a clear over-step.
 >
 >I must disagree it is being over-step. If you can protect your
 >software - do it. Nothing wrong with that.
 >However i think if someone else cracks it there is noone to
 >blame but yourself.

Yes, there is little we can do to prevent companies from encrypting their
content.  However, copyright law is designed to reward the creator of
content with a limited monopoly, after which the content will become public
domain.  One could therefore make the argument that since encrypted content
is unlikely to enter the public domain, it should not be deserving of
copyright protection.

Kris