[free-sklyarov] Phil Zimmermann, Controversial Encryption Programmer, and Outspoken Privacy Advocate

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Jul 31 10:23:25 PDT 2001

This gentleman was at the rally yesterday and asked me to post this on
his behalf.  He told me that Zimmerman will be speaking about the
Dmitry case, among other things.

----- Forwarded message from Ira Victor <irav at degrees.com> -----

Hello Nick,
It was a real pleasure to meet you this afternoon at the Dmitry rally.
As you may recall, I am the Co-Chair of the Software Developer's Forum
Committee on Internet Privacy and Security.  We are organizing Phil
Zimmermann's (creator of PGP) appearance tomorrow in San Francisco.
As you also may know, the Dmitry story is part of a much bigger story
that involves the expansion of FBI into people's private affairs.

For example: The FBI is now getting personal information off of
people's computers WITHOUT first getting a warrant.  The FBI got the
PGP pass-code via a "wire-tap," but without a warrant ( see:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010728/aponline122313_000.htm
).  Unchecked, this could be VERY chilling to free speech.  For
example, a press sources that wish to remain anonymous.

Below is the press release about Phil.  Please contact me if you have
any questions.  Please let me know when you put this on your site.

Best regards,
Ira Victor
415-826-0111

###
Rare Bay Area Appearance By Phil Zimmermann, Controversial Encryption
Programmer, and Outspoken Privacy Advocate

A decade ago, Philip R. Zimmermann released an encryption program,
Pretty Good Privacy (PGP).  As a result, the Federal government
charged him with violations of the Arms Export Control Act for
munitions trafficking.  The government held that U.S. national
security was jeopardized when PGP was spread around the world as free
encryption software.  The case against Phil Zimmermann continued for
three years. PGP became the most widely used email encryption software
in the world, and the government eventually dropped their case against
Phil Zimmerman.

Phil Zimmerman will make a rare appearance on Tuesday, July 31st in
San Francisco to talk about encryption and his belief that the federal
government is attempting to control the free speech of programmers
through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).  The event is
hosted by the non-profit Software Development Forum (SDForum).  The
event begins at 6:30PM and will be held at ServOn, 650 Townsend, Suite
252 (8th and Townsend), San Francisco.  Admission is $10 for
non-SDForum members and the event is open to the public.

For more information: http://www.SDForum.org

###

----- End forwarded message -----

--
"The only thing is certain: Russian petty computer hooligans are very
slovenly, while FBI agents are very persistent in hunting them." --Pravda