[free-sklyarov] Long term thoughts [was: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Tue Jul 31 21:39:18 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:24:37PM -0700, Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
> I think a strong alliance with artists would be profitable over the long
> haul. The media corporations are going to just keep at it, trying to squeeze
> more out of both the creators and the public. It would be nice to build
> systems in which the corporations could have all kinds of "protections" of
> content... but NO CONTENT.
>
> I think many, many artists are ready to "jump ship." It's begun with some of
> the more powerful ones (like King). But one of the great promises of the 'Net
> would be connecting even the most obscure artists with their hanful of fans.
>
> Ultimately, I think the best defense will be a strong "offense." Cut the
> middle-leeches out entirely.

Now that's a sentiment I can get behind. The battle needs to be taken
to them directly and publicly. These greedy robber barons of the 21st
Century don't like to have their actions made truly public. They know
what the public would feel. That is why Adobe backed down.

If we could provide a viable (technically and financially) publishing
house that really honored the creative gifts of our writers and
artists, without putting sales parasites on them, we could have a
thriving art community again instead of N'Sync and Britney. I mean,
really.

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Free Dmitri Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org
Washington DC Protests http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca

My rights and freedoms are a product of moral, ethical, and philosophical
thought.  They represent the intellectual property that I most want to keep
secure. The Bill of Rights is my protection. The DMCA a circumvention device.
	-- austin at computershop.calgary.ab.ca.nospam