[free-sklyarov] Linux update withholds security info on DMCA terror

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Nov 2 10:20:27 PST 2001

begin  Kenneth Burger quotation of Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:14:38AM -0500:

> I read about this on Slashdot awhile ago.  My response to it will likely
> piss several people off, but I feel it's necessary.  Alan Cox is either
> using us as martyrs for his cause or he's a coward.  If it's the first then
> he's violated our trust and also everything open source stands for.

Please. He's under no obligation to do security-related research,
or to publish his results in any forum.  If he wants to write in
chalk on the muffler of a 1987 Ford Taurus and charge people 42
million tumtums to crawl under and look, that's his decision.

Alan certainly knows that some Europeans will read his site and
paraphrase it.  There's no practical damage in the long run.

Shortsighted quarter-to-quarter US computer executives are
perfectly happy to drink from the free software well that Congress
is crapping in.  If Alan's action gets one "Linux industry" person
to understand the danger of DMCA and DRM, it's more than worth it.

I appreciate everything Alan has done to express solidarity with
Dmitry.  Any country that takes these actions against an indvidual
for doing useful things deserves to be quarantined.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti at zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
                                                     http://burnallgifs.org/