[free-sklyarov] (no subject)

Matthew Russotto russotto at pond.com
Sun Nov 4 14:38:30 PST 2001

Don Marti wrote:

 >begin Matthew Russotto quotation of Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:35:27PM
-0500:
 >> I'm afraid I have to agree with Kenneth Burger over the latest
 >> Alan Cox move.  He's deliberately overstating the DMCA and taking
 >> extreme actions in order to draw attention to the cause, and he's
 >> punishing Linux users and maintainers to do it.

 > Better get your money back from him right away, then.

 > All the rest of you free software programmers, back to work!
 > Matthew Russotto needs working code by yesterday!  Don't worry
 > about politics, or getting arrested if you do something a company
 > doesn't like -- that would never happen.

I don't think I said anything of the sort.  In fact, I'm quite sure of
it.  I'm not suggesting he do anything which would get him arrested, or
barred from the United States.  I'm suggesting that, as ridiculous as
the DMCA is, it does not bar public disclosure of the security fixes in
an operating system.  And I think Alan Cox _knows_ this, but is
melodramatically pretending to fear jail in order to call attention to
his objections to the DMCA.  He's abusing Linux users, he's abusing
other Linux maintainers, and he's abusing the Skylarov case in order to
call attention to his cause (which happens to be one I agree with).