[free-sklyarov] RE: FJIA etc

Neon Samurai alex at 2600.COM
Tue Nov 6 09:28:18 PST 2001

	A jury is not qualified to rule on issue of law, only a judge is
the arbiter of issues of law; for instance, if the issue is whether or not
a particular statute is applicable in a certain situation, like the DMCA,
a judge makes that determination.  A jury can only find whether or not
Dmitry has violated the DMCA; and a jury properly instructed, I believe,
would find that Dmitry broke the law.  It's a very similar situation to
2600's in that Judge Kaplan ruled that simply by DeCSS existing, it
violated the DMCA.
	Whether or not the law is an equitable and just law is another
thing entirely, and that's an issue of law for the judges to decide,
most of the time appellate judges; and if so, it could be a long and
arduous haul for Dmitry.

Best,

Alex
http://www.VerizonEatsPoop.com