[free-sklyarov] Linux update withholds security info on DMCA terror

John Dempsey john.dempsey7 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 15:50:16 PST 2001

>On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 06:09:28PM -0500, Kenneth Burger wrote:
>> If you're going to be the leader of something like this then you should
be
>> willing to take that risk.  I would.

>but most of the "leaders" of Free Software didn't want to become
>leaders. they wanted to hack some cool code, and after a few years
>realized that people came to rely on them.

I also resent the idea of personal accountability extending to someone
else's person.  We all face the perils of DMCA in our own cases, hopefully
with bravery, but not with the stupidity a suicidal choice can mean.
Sklyarov faces 25 years for doing his job.  Don't tell people what risks
they should take for "our" movement.  It is a movement of individuals making
individual choices, with serious consequences.

I believe the Open Source movement should leave America behind.  What did
Churchill say?  'And if... this island was subject and starving... in God's
good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forward to the
rescue and the liberation of the Old.'

I saw this site--would welcome the URL, which I've misplaced--which planned
to publish all data prohibited by the DMCA to the *rest* of the world.  No
American would be allowed to view it.  That accurately summarizes where
Linux should go... with or without America.