[free-sklyarov] Hacking, Online Piracy and the DMCA under Fire: What Do They Mean For Publishing

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Fri Nov 9 20:56:17 PST 2001

On Friday 09 November 2001 00:57, Vladimir Katalov wrote:
> Hello,
- - - snip - - -
> Funny fact. The moderator of that event is:
>
> BONNIE BEACHER, DIRECTOR, CONTRACTS, COPYRIGHTS & PERMISSIONS, MCGRAW-HILL
>                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> On July 10th (just a few days before the arrest, when we were not
>
> selling AEBPR already), I have received the following request:
> > I would like to request a full version of the Advanced eBook Procesessor
> > software.
> >
> > [name skipped]
> > Software Engineer
> > Media Technology
> > McGraw-Hill Higher Education
> > Two Penn Plaza, 9th Floor
> > New York, NY 10121
> > Tel. 212-904-4232
> >
> :)
>
> /Vladimir
> vkatalov at elcomsoft.com

Hi:  Nice to share that.  At this point, my reaction to the term "publisher"
brings immediate revulsion.  There's a generation of us that grew up listing
"used car salesman" as the lowest of the low.  Now, it seems "publisher" has
taken front seat in this class.  They should all be ashamed of themselves.
Tom