[free-sklyarov] Re-Russian copyright law.

Igor Motsnyi igormotsnyi at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:57:27 PST 2001

"I am doing research, and I would appreciate it if someone could tell me
whether Russian copyright law gives the exclusive right to copyright holders
to permit or deny the distribution of their copyrighted works of authorship.
I would like also to have a formal citation for this (i.e., in the Russian
code).  Any help would be appreciated".

Erik,

Russian copyright law 1993 (Copyright and Related rights law) indeed grants
the exclusive rights to the copyright holders to authorize the distribution,
reproduction, comunnication to the public, etc of their works (Art 16).

However, as I have stated in one of my previous messages the situation is
slightly different under the employment contract.
If the work is created in the course of employment the person who actually
creates the work has MORAL RIGHTS on his creation (i.e. the right to claim
authorship) but all the ECONOMIC RIGHTS belong to his EMPLOYER (Art. 14 of
the Copyright and Related rights law). Therefore, under Russian Copyright
law it is the employer who decides to distribute, communicate to the public
the work or make use of it in any other way. The employee will always be the
author but he does not normally have economic benefits out of it (apart from
his salary). In these kind of relationships the employee transfers the
exclusive rights to permit or prohibit the use of his work to the employer
although he is still considered an author.

Igor.