[free-sklyarov] RE:Sklyarov lawyers will challenge DMCA, jurisdiction

Will Janoschka wiljan at pobox.com
Tue Nov 27 16:40:52 PST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:08:54 Eric swive at getnet.com said:
> Jurisdiction is the authority to render judgment.

I beg to disagree, throw away Blacks law dictionary, pick up Websters.

Jurisdiction n, 1, the right of making and enforcing laws. 2, the domain
over which a given authority extends.

The poster was reporting news, not giving a legal opinion.

> Did you even read the case I cited before you shot off an e-mail?  Who's
> right as to the conceptual point; you are Justice Scalia?

I did not, it is not relevant in reporting news.
The issue is, did the Doj/FBI have any right to arrest Dmitry.
Could be one good lawsuit against the US government.

Really, I am not trying to inflame, just a difference in opinion.
I wish, that on this list, one could tell the difference between
an opinion, a learned legal opinion, and a rant.
                                -will-