[free-sklyarov] Text version of message sent in PGP.

Christopher R. Maden crism at maden.org
Tue Nov 27 23:47:34 PST 2001

At 20:00 27-11-2001, Ernest A. Erickson wrote:
>Sorry folks for my screwup!
>Here's the MEAT and Taters of what was supposed to arrive....It appears
>that after the initial charges brought about by Adobe in this matter, and
>subsequently DROPPED by same; how can the government go ahead and
>hold/charge/indict Dimitry and "company" when the "parent" troublemaker
>decided(and rightfully so) to drop charges against him?
>Me thinks me smells a foul odor of power hungry NAZI-types here.

That's how criminal cases work.  This will be US v. Sklyarov and Elcom
Ltd., not Adobe Systems, Inc. v. Sklyarov and Elcom Ltd.  A complaint can
be a cause for arrest and prosecution, but it is neither the only possible
cause nor is the prosecutor obligated to drop the case because the original
complaint is dropped.  If the law is broken, the prosecutor is charged with
prosecuting it; if a family-less, friend-less person is murdered - and
everyone hated him and wanted him dead, and no one is willing to press a
complaint - the prosecutor is still obliged to prosecute if evidence can be
found for the killer.

Now it is entirely arguable that Dmitry didn't actually break the law, and
it also seems evident that the law in question is a bad law.  But the
USDAONDOCA (or whatever) is entirely within bounds to prosecute.  The
protest at the Federal Building in SF, in coöperation with the EFF meeting
inside, was targeted at getting the US Attorney to drop the case after
Adobe dropped the complaint, but that was unsuccessful.  Moreover, Adobe
may have dropped the complaint, but is still coöperating with the
prosecution to see the case through AIUI.

~crism
--
Libertarian candidate, California State Assembly, District 13
Free Sklyarov: <URL: http://www.freesklyarov.org/ >