[free-sklyarov] Senator Hollings wants to make Linux illegal

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Wed Nov 28 08:41:36 PST 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 04:32:41PM +0200, Jei wrote:
> Another tragic effort to define laws of nature by laws of man.

Oh, please...  Yes, the SSSCA is even worse than DMCA.  However, your
subject line is baseless sensationalism.  The (eventually) referenced
article even states:

    And while Disney interests may be completely aware of the subtleties
    behind the SSSCA, Hollings may be unaware of the chain of effects
    this could set off.  "Although I cannot comment on the technical
    acuity of Senator Hollings," says Pat Stakem... "there have been
    problems in the past with oversight and unintended consequences when
    a highly technical issue is legislated."

There is no evidence whatsoever that banning Linux or Open Source/Free
Software is Hollings's intent.  Yes, it may be what happens if SSSCA
passes, but I have seen no evidence that he is even aware of the
possibility.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss