[free-sklyarov] Events?

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Mon Oct 1 00:12:08 PDT 2001

Seth David Schoen wrote, on Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 04:01:04PM -0700:
> ... -- it would be great if there could be actual
> Sklyarov-relevant things continuing in the meantime.
>
> Does anyone have any plans?

	In the era BS11 (Before-September-11), I was having some
discussions about doing a slightly edgy anticensorware report,
tied into the DMCA. I was going to discuss legal issues again,
and use the Sklyarov case as the poster-child for how much
the DMCA legal risks had escalated (e.g. civil to criminal). It's hard
for people to say that talk of jail is a hyperbolic "parade of horribles"
when there's a bona-fide criminal case in the works. See the previous
DMCA discussion, in my report "SmartFilter - I've Got A Little List"
http://sethf.com/anticensorware/smartfilter/gotalist.php

	But in the era AS11 (After-September-11), I think my
plans there are just too risky. There won't be many people
listening. And the legal climate continues to get worse and worse.
What can I tell you, chilling effects work :-(.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://archive.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html