[free-sklyarov] (no subject)

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu Oct 4 12:12:07 PDT 2001

Karsten M. Self writes:

> In the 1940s or 1950s, IIRC, a book consisting of intentionally random
> (or pseudorandom) sequences was published, and successfully defended
> under copyright.  It was original, and consisted of authorship.  A quick
> Google search doesn't turn up a reference, but I'll dig harder if asked.

The famous such book is _A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal
Deviates_, published by the RAND Corporation.  It took a lot of
technical development work to generate so many strongly random numbers
at that time.

Today, you can get this publication on the web.

http://www.rand.org/publications/classics/randomdigits/

It sells for $50-$100 used nowadays.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested