[free-sklyarov] DMCA Lecture by Dan Burk

Jim Crumley crumley at mail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:46:21 PDT 2001

Last night's lecture sponsored by the Minnesota anti-DMCA groups
given by Professor Dan Burk of the University of Minnesota Law
School was a great success.  Professor Burk, who has filed briefs
in several of the DMCA cases including the Corley case, gave a
talk describing the background of copyright law in the US and how
the DMCA (and potentially the SSSCA) extend this to absurd
lengths, of which Dmitry's case is a prime example. The talk
added a lot of useful context and information about copyright for
those of us working to free Dmitry and get the DMCA repealed.

The talk lasted over 2 hours and included a lot questions and
feedback from the audience. The audience numbered about 30, and
included many people that hadn't been active in our anti-DMCA
groups. Letters to be sent to US Senators and Representatives
were passed around and signed by 21 of the people present.

The lecture was taped and we hope to soon post the video on the
web.  Though this lecture was a success, we hope to build off it
and get a larger turn-out for the later talks in our lecture
series (see underwhelm.org for more info). I'd encourage other
local groups to consider similar events, if relevant speakers are
available.

--
Jim Crumley                  |    Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |    http://freesklyarov.org/