[free-sklyarov] Fwd: Smell Test for a Certain Unconfirmed Meeting Report

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Tue Oct 9 15:22:28 PDT 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 02:16:20PM -0400, Seth Johnson (seth.johnson at realmeasures.dyndns.org) wrote:
> > (Forwarded from p2p-legal list)
> > From: hal at finney.org
> >
> > This report fails the "smell test".  It sounds like the quotes have at
> > least been doctored to provide red meat to the opposition.
>
> I disagree.

	I dunno, I'm tending toward Mr. Finney's assessment.

	OT1H, if this was a closed-door meeting of the industry's
	faithful, then I can imagine them being more bold, and more angry,
	than when talking to the public.  I never underestimate their
	(a) extremist views and (b) gawd-awful PR.

	OT2H, some of these comments really are over the top.  Also,
	who was it that collected these quotes from the meeting?

	I was especially suspicious about the claim that they had
	acquired snooping software to get into password-protected sites.
	That is very likely to be a federal crime.  In fact, the US is
	|| THIS close to making it punishable by life without parole.

	I'd also like to add:  the fact that the industry was burned
	before (DVD-hack, etc) does not mean they are at all skeptical of
	DRM technology.  In fact, it seems pretty clear that they still
	believe it exists; and that any attempt to expose a DRM technology
	as fake and ineffective, is just viewed as a "hacker" "attacking"
	their imaginary security technology.

							Xcott